Saturday, September 26, 2009

Adviser?

In my life, I've suffered though just about every typical teenage thing anyone can go through (no drug abuse though). So, I've had experience in how it feels to completely hate yourself and to want to die, etc.

I am a firm believer that with experience come wisdom. Although I don't claim to be "wise," I do believe that I have wisdom beyond my years. Because of this I want to be a therapist or guidance counselor, or something in the realm that deals with adolescence.

Frankly, I think adolescence is the most confusing, lousy, heart-breaking time anyone goes though. Thousands of questions go through your mind from, "What do I want to do?" to, "Am I gay?" So it's no wonder that teens go mad during this time of their life. Who doesn't?

This is not my major point, but my minor point. My major point is that since I have this wealth of wisdom now, I try my hardest to put it to good use.

When my friends have problems, I try my hardest to use my experiences and the advice I've been given over the years to try and help them. Usually I do a fairly good job. And my friends really do seem to take my advice and respect it, and that makes me feel useful.

Sometimes though, I feel as though I'm just not qualified to answer something, and I admit that to the person with whom I'm speaking. But I always feel bad when I can't give any advice...like I'm just useless.

It's almost like I feel as though I have this responsibility to have all the answers. I know that ridiculous, but I still can't help feeling that way. I'm just not the kind of person who can sit and watch my friends be in pain. I'm so empathetic that it hurts me just as much as it hurts them.

What I worry about is when I'm an adult and I still don't have all the answers, what then? Obviously, I'll try my hardest, but what if the advice I give bites me in the ass? What if it's the wrong advice? I would have to have that blood on my hands.

Is that something that you learn as you become a counselor? Do you learn to not take it so personally when things don't go the way you wanted when it comes to a patient or student?

That's what's on my mind at the moment. I feel confident when what I say works or helps, but I don't think I've ever given advice that really hasn't helped. It just makes me kind of nervous for the future.

1 comment:

  1. I've never been much good at comforting people, understanding their troubles, or otherwise. But I do know what you mean when you say you expect yourself to have all the answers. It's tough, but it's the expectation we sometimes have for ourselves in wanting to be supportive friends (and better human beings). We can't achieve it, perhaps, but we can try.

    You needn't worry about what happens when you're an adult and you don't have the answers. You will get bitten on the ass. The only thing you can do is learn from it and try to avoid being bitten twice by the same dog. Don't be nervous. It's just life.

    Good and expressive writing, by the way.

    ReplyDelete